By Diane Owens
If you haven’t shopped in a dollar store lately, you’ll be amazed by what great things are available there for wedding decorations.
The following list contains items I’ve seen at two different dollar store chains in my area. (Note: Dollar stores buy merchandise for resale at rock-bottom prices from various vendors, and, as a result, the items they stock vary. However, many items below are available at nearly every dollar store nearly all the time.)
- Tulle (rolls and circles)
- Glass vases (short, tall, thin, wide, plain or etched glass): great for floral centerpieces for guest tables, buffet tables, etc. Tie a ribbon or two around the neck to coordinate with flowers placed inside, paint the glass, etch it, or leave the container plain and fill it with marbles or rocks (also available at the dollar store) and branches or a single flower.
- Pew bows
- Ribbon (all types, including wired — which is great for making elegant bows)
- Tealight candles in glass holders
- Candles, candle holders and small mirrors to place underneath them
- Crepe paper
- Preprinted signs for the bride and groom’s get-away vehicle
- Balloons and balloon bases
- Artificial flowers
- Poster board to make a display of photos of the bride and groom
- Paper lanterns
- White paper boxes for wedding favors
- Frames (place framed photos of the bride and groom or of the bride’s and groom’s parents on their wedding days on tables for a nostalgic touch)
- Decorating and craft supplies such as scissors, tape, floral wire, floral tape, fasteners and push pins
To see the types of vases and other items available, check out The Dollar Tree’s wedding website at http://www.dollartree.com/Wedding-Idea-Centerpieces-and-Floral-D-eacute-cor/e41/index.ens.
Subscribe to Budget Wedding Site blog posts by submitting your email address in the right column on this page or on the home page at http://budgetweddingsite.com/.
For great ways to save money on wedding planning, buy the 120-page ebook Budget Wedding Secrets: How to Have a $30,000 Wedding for Less Than $10,000. At only $2.99, it’s filled with money-saving and do-it-yourself tips for a fabulous wedding at an affordable price.